In Yorkshire, England, Cottingham attracts affluent residents who live in a large village that is a civil parish. Located one and a half miles (10 km) north of Kingston upon Hull. The Yorkshire Wolds begin at Cottingham on the eastern edge.
It is thought that the name Cottingham derived from a combination of British and Saxon words: "Kat" from Celridwen; "ket" from "kot"; and "ham" from "home". In addition, the name may have been derived from a man's name "Cotta" plus -inga- (OE pertaining to/named after) and ham, meaning "habitation of cotta's people".
Cottingham was owned by Gamel, the son of Osbert, during the reign of Edward the Confessor
in the 11th century. When the Normans conquered the land, it was in the possession of Hugh fitzBaldric
During this time, Cottingham manor included a mill, five fisheries, woodlands, and farmland, as stated in the Domesday Book (1086). The manor was given to Robert Front de Boeuf, ancestor of the de Stuteville family.
William de Stuteville obtained a license to fortify in 1201, the beginning of Baynard Castle
. Hugh de Wake, who married Joan de Stuteville, became the owner of the manor in the de Wake family. Further permission for crenellation of the castle was granted to Thomas Wake in 1327.
The legend says that the manor house at the castle was destroyed in 1541 by its owner, who, fearing Henry VIII's intentions towards his wife, set fire to his own residence in an attempt to prevent the King's visit. Deer parks were first documented in the 13th century to the north of the village.
The park, which encompassed Crowle Park and Burn Park, was 4 leagues (12 miles) in circumference and located in what is now Cottingham Park; it is thought to have fallen out of use and been let for pasture in the 16th century.