In the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, Kirk Ella is a village and civil parish on the western outskirts of Kingston upon Hull, located approximately 8 km (7 miles) west of the city centre. West Ella is part of the parish.
It was thought that the name 'Kirk Ella' originated in the Old English, and meant 'Aelf(a)'s Woodland Clearing with a Church.'
Kirk Ella is recorded in the 11th-century Domesday survey as Aluengi (Ella). Bronze axes and Roman pottery have been discovered in the area, and there is evidence of iron age enclosures between the village and Swanland being visible as cropmarks.
Human activity has been apparent in the area as far back as the Bronze Age.
A school was built on Mill Road (now Mill Lane) and West Ella Road, approximately 0.5 miles (0.8 km) south of the village, due to an overflow of the church cemetery. Before 1910, the village lacked a cemetery. Up until the 1930s, growth in the village was minimal. It was designed by James Braid
in 1924 by the Hull Golf Club (1921) Limited.
New housing developments began to appear in the village in the 1930s, with many detached or semi-detached homes with large gardens. Beverley Road leading to Anlaby, West Ella Road, Packman Lane leading to Riplingham, and New Ella Way, Westland Road, Elms Drive, Redland Drive, Fairfield Avenue, and St Andrews Mount were developed as new estates.
In the 1940s, there were more new houses than there had been in the 1920s. Following the Second World War, during the 1950s and 1960s, there was further housing growth of the same type, including on the Vale and at South Ella Way off Mill Lane, as well as at Wolfreton Garth. Further infilling and expansion of housing to the south took place in the following decade; by the end of the 1970s an area measuring about 1 mile (1.6 km) square was fully urbanized, while both the expanded Willerby and Anlaby villages were contiguous to the development. In this period, South Ella Way was doubled in size and a new school was built south of it (Wolfreton Upper School).
In the waning years of the 20th century, further housing was built around Glenfield Drive at the northern edge of the village, and at St Julian's Wells to the east, along with some infill.