Swanland is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. On the B1231 road, the village is situated about seven miles (11 km) west of Kingston upon Hull city centre and two miles (3.2 km) north of the Humber Estuary in the foothills of the Yorkshire Wolds.
In the area around Swanland, there is evidence of human activity and habitation dating to the British Iron Age/Roman Britain period.
Domesday does not mention Swanland, though there was a chapel in the 12th century or earlier, and a hall is thought to have stood at Swanland since at least the 13th century, when it was the residence of Eustace de Vesci
. During the later medieval period (16th century), the Hall was the residence of the Haldenby family. The Hall was no longer standing by the late 18th century.
Swanland and other villages west of Hull became popular places for wealthy Hull residents to move in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Swanland area was home to Swanland Hall
(built after 1740), Braffords Hall
(built after 1778), Swanland House (built 1796, rebuilt c. 1860), and Swanland Manor (built 1848, demolished 1935).
In 1828, a Primitive Methodist chapel was added to the Congregationalist church, which was built in 1804.
Swanland had 418 inhabitants in 1831. As early as the mid-19th century, Swanland followed the east-west Mill Lane/Main Street, with the larger manor houses and halls set back from it.
Rural fields surrounded the village, and pits that extracted chalk were scattered around the countryside.
Funded by Sir James Reckitt
, an Institute with a billiards room and library was built in 1914. During the 1920s and 1930s, the village expanded as a commuter village. Electricity was first supplied to the village in 1929 (street lighting was installed in 1954).
Hull Corporation built a large circular concrete water tower measuring 200,000 imperial gallons (910 m3) in 1931, replacing an older tower from the 1890s.
A large chalk pit was excavated in the southeast corner of the parish in the mid-20th century (Humberfield Quarry, disused by the 1980s and filled in).
In the early postwar period, prefabricated houses were constructed.
Further housing construction took place in the 1960s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. [The population rose steadily from 1,212 in 1951 to around 4,000 in 1998.