Read our genuine customer reviews
Get an instant boiler price
Online Quote
Call our boiler team now
01482 376275
q & a about the gas safe certificate am i required to have one?
Posted in

Q&A About the Gas Safe Certificate: Am I Required to Have One?

Gas safety certificate

Upon completion of a home's appliance and heating system inspection by a Gas Safe registered engineer, the engineer will issue you a Gas Safety certificate. Providing tenants with a Gas Safety Record is a legal requirement in Britain, as all appliances must be safe. Depending on your new boiler's model, you may also require a CP12 certificate. It is important for landlords to be knowledgeable about safety.

We will cover several topics in this blog post, from what a CP12 certificate entails, to what Gas Safe Regulations are for both tenants and homeowners, to finding out whether sales contracts require Gas Safety Records. A gas safety check is essential every year, and we will discuss whether you need one for your new boiler for your own safety.

ATG <a href=Boiler Installations established in Hull, East Yorkshire provide a range of boiler installation services." class="wp-image-521" width="419" height="279"/>
ATG Boiler Installations established in Hull, East Yorkshire provide a range of boiler installation services.

What is a gas safety certificate?

It may still be referred to as CP12, although newly qualified individuals will probably refer to it as the Gas Safety Certificate for Landlords. Legally, landlords in the UK must hold a Gas Safety Certificate.

A gas safety certificate verifies that gas appliances in a building are compliant with government standards and regulations. Gas safety certificates are issued to your home as part of an annual inspection, where technicians will inspect your boiler to verify that it is functioning properly. 

It will be checked for faults and leaks by a Gas Safe registered engineer as part of the annual inspection. The engineer will issue you your Landlord's Gas Safety Record after this inspection has been completed.

Gas appliances can pose a danger if improperly installed or maintained. A CP12 certificate is essential to ensuring the safety of rented properties. Failure to obtain one can result in steep fines. We recommend updating annually. 

A CP12 inspection certificate will be issued to you upon completion of the inspection, indicating:

  • Identification details of an engineer who is registered with Gas Safe
  • A date when a gas safety inspection was completed
  • A landlord or managing agent's name and address (if managed by an agent)
  • Postal code of the property
  • This page describes where and what gas appliances and pipes are located
  • Trouble spots and the measures needed to resolve them
  • During the inspection, the engineer signed off that the check was performed correctly, as required by law
  • When the next gas safety inspection is to take place (typically 12 months after the previous one)
Landlord Gas Safety Check
Landlord Gas Safety Check

Importance of Getting a Gas Safety Certificate 

To protect you and your family from the harmful effects of carbon monoxide, it is recommended that you have your annual Gas Safe inspection. A Gas Safe engineer will examine your piping system and appliances for any signs of leaks during your annual inspection.

Unaddressed or undetected gas leaks can ignite a fire, cause an explosion, or poison your body with carbon monoxide. If gas escapes, it would quickly spread throughout your home due to its high heat output. Hence, getting your Gas Safety certificate from a Gas Safe registered engineer annually is a smart move. 

Do gas safety checks take a long time?

In general, gas safety tests last about 30 minutes. It will take longer if there are more gas appliances to check. It might take a little longer to do a gas safety check if emergency repairs are required. Make sure all of your gas appliances are accessible to the gas engineer in order to have them completed in the shortest amount of time

Landlords must ensure that gas appliances are properly maintained and safe to use, along with obtaining CP12 certificates. Gas Safety certificates confirm the gas appliances in a property are safe. They are a legal requirement for landlords.

As tenants, we should do our part to ensure a Gas Safe inspection is performed by our landlord each year. When a boiler, for example, is not installed or maintained properly, the consequences can be disastrous.

Be sure that your landlord gets an annual Gas Safe inspection to avoid the aftermath of a leak. In addition, it is your landlord's responsibility to provide servicing records.

Before moving into your new home or within 28 days of the event, make sure that your service records are in order.  

Gas Supply
Gas Supply

Can my house be sold if I don't have a gas safety certificate?

Unless you're a landlord, it isn't a legal requirement for you to have a Gas Safety certificate, so it's not something you need when selling a house.

In the event your home is up for sale, obtaining a certificate would not only increase security but would also reassure your potential buyers that their appliances are secure.

It might be a good idea to get a Gas Safety certificate when you move into a new home. In addition to the various tasks involved in moving into a new house, you should schedule an annual gas safety inspection if you have gas appliances.

There are no legal implications for new homebuyers, but it is a mandatory document for landlords to have one, so any unknown danger can be averted. 

So in the end, you're not asked to repair a boiler! It is simply a matter of making sure each of your rented properties complies with gas safety regulations. When new tenants move into a home, you should have a gas safety check performed by a professional before they move in. 

At ATG, All of our engineers are highly qualified, and Gas Safe registered, ensuring that all your needs are met while obtaining a gas safety certificate in a short period. 

atg boiler installations
Steve Groke
As the managing director of ATG Boiler Installation, Steve has over 10-years of experience installing boilers for customers in Hull and across the East Yorkshire area. On the blog, Steve shares useful guidance and expert recommendations on all aspects of plumbing and heating.
Read More Help Articles
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram